Sunday, December 20, 2009

Why did my satin sheets stain in the wash?

Brand new satin sheet set. Label says machine washable. Put them in the wash with nothing but fabric softener to get rid of the static and dried them in low heat. They came out with some dark markings.


Same thing happened to my last satin sheet set. I used to think it was the detergent, but I didn't use any this time. And this was the first time I used fabric softener with sheets too so fabric softener wasn't the culprit in my last set. What's going on?Why did my satin sheets stain in the wash?
Dark markings are usually caused by oils or dyes. Either you have been washing something dark with (or possibly prior to) washing your sheets, or oils from your body, lotions, etc may be getting on them.


What fiber are they? Synthetics tend to be oleoscopic, meaning they attract oils and are harder to wash the oils from. If you can rule out dyes you may want to try washing the sheets in hot water with a good detergent.


If you suspect it may be dyes then try using the color remover sheets found in the laundry section of your grocery/dept stores.Why did my satin sheets stain in the wash?
the marks are ';shadow stains'; from the softener the will come out after several washings try using dryer sheets to remove the static from now on
It's the fabric softener my dear. Fabric softener is nothing but glorified oil and fats.





Use a fabric softener dryer sheet next time
Its the oils in the fabric softener. Wash them with detergent and don't add the softener till the water has completely covered the sheets. You should never add softener directly to material like satin. Add it to the water.
  • viruses
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment