Thursday, December 24, 2009

Why are there strange stains on my t-shirts after washing?

A number of my t-shirts are developing odd ';stains'; after washing. Sometimes I will purchase a brand new shirt, only to find that after it has been washed once or twice, these odd stains begin to appear, and the shirt is essentially ruined. I am including pictures below;





http://www.hoglegmovie.com/stainsclose.j鈥?/a>


A close-up of the stains.





http://www.hoglegmovie.com/stains.jpg


The stains as they appear when looking at the shirt.





http://www.hoglegmovie.com/shirt.jpg


Shirt itself.





Thanks!Why are there strange stains on my t-shirts after washing?
I was just thinking about your question as I was doing my own laundry. I too was having this problem and I was trying to remember exactly what it was - but it was a process of elimination. Fabric softner will leave a stain on fabric if you get any on it. And usually it will ruin the fabric. If you are using softner check your dispenser, mine was leaking. When the machine would go through a spin cycle it would spew softner out. I think my problem stopped when I started using my Downey Ball again. But I also washed down the drum, the agitator, and under the washer lip where the lint collects. I ran bleach thru the softner dispenser as well as the bleach dispenser and then ran an empty load to make sure there was no residue in the machine. From there, I had no more stains. Hope that helps. P.S. I don't really use bleach since it wears the fabric and dulls some fabric colors (like red underwear becomes pink underwear!). So now instead once a month I collect all the white socks I can find in the house (clean from the drawer, laundry baskets, etc.) I fill the fabric softner dispenser with a little bleach (about 1/4 cup) and the rest with water and 1 cup of bleach in the bleach dispenser and run a Super load. This keeps our socks white and my machine clean. I fill the softner dispenser with bleach because I have hard water and it leaves calcium deposits and stains on my dispenser and this helps keep it clean.Why are there strange stains on my t-shirts after washing?
The brown stains are due to iron in the water reacting with your fabric softeners and depositing on the fabric in blotches.





Test stained area with salt %26amp; lemon juice ( make a paste %26amp; apply to stain) - If it disappears then it's Iron.





1. Stop using fabric softeners.


2. Add vinegar to final rinse to solubelize iron and flushed it away eliminating those horrible stains.





Good luck!!
do you use liquid softner? it might be that. try to pre-treat the stain with a paste of detergent and water or put some shout or somethig on it then run it through the wash again and see if that helps. I was getting these blue stains on my white t-shirts and it turned out to be the downey softner I was using I have since switched to dryer sheets. also always check the wash basin of your washer to make sure there isn't something in there messing up your clothes. do you work with chemicals? or cook greasy foods that splatter? it could be that too. Hope I helped!
Greasy-looking spots can come from dryer sheets too (i.e. if the dryer sheet sits against wet or dry clothes in the dryer too long). As well, grease spots/oil spots on clothes can be a sign of a mechanical problem with either a washer or dryer. If you rule out the soap and fabric softener as a problem, you may have to look at the actual machine. Check your washer/dryer manual under stains. By the way, the shirts might not necessarily be ruined. Apply full strength soap to the shirt and let sit for an hour. Then wash in warm water with the water level at medium, using the amount of soap you normally would for that size load. I have this problem sometimes with my shirts and 9 times out of time, the stain is gone afterwards.





PS: Here's something I pulled off the GE website:





I am getting oil on my clothes/floor.


To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.


Greasy or oily stains on clothes:





The 1995 and newer washer transmission design makes it highly improbable for oil from the transmission to get into washer and splatter on clothing. Most of the time it is caused by splatters from cooking oil. Stains from foods or cooking oils, sometimes called ';invisible stains';, may not be noticed as you put clothes in the washer. If not completely removed in the wash cycle, the oily spots may pick up dirt from wash water making the spots visible. The washer does not cause these spots.





To prevent:


Wash garments as soon as practical after wearing, using more detergent than normal and the hottest wash water fabric can stand.





To correct:


Rub in undiluted detergent, let stand 30 minutes and rewash, using hottest water fabric can stand.





If your water is extremely hot, 150 degrees or higher, the water inlet hose(s) could start to break down, causing black greasy stains on clothes. Refer to the Use and Care Guide for your water heater, set the temperature accordingly, and replace the inlet hose(s).
I think it could be from fabric softner.
Looks like grease. Check to make sure you don't have any grease down inside your washer and make sure the stuff you're adding in there doesn't have grease on it.
the stains are deffinitly your detergent/fabric sofner when poured right on top of your clothes it does stain them ...im only guessing but im guessing you throw your cothes in the wash turn the settings on and then pour the det/fs on top well if so STOP lol think about it it still takes time for the washer to fill with water so the liquids are just setting in that whole time . fill your wash with your clothing then put your setings on after it has filled with the water put the liquids in it should help as for the stains already you can use oxyclean it works for the stains put on the clothes in my household hope i helped

No comments:

Post a Comment