Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is it my Washing Machine staining my clothes?

I live in an apartment, so I do not know the history of the washing machine, however it seems like 1 out of every 5 washes, several articles of clothing are damaged.





I have since become very dilegent about washing white %26amp; colours seprataly, but my latest discovery was that after doing a cycle of whites, I washed my green duvet cover by itself, it came out stained!!! I washed it on a medium temperature.





The stains are always of the same consistancy - a dark, patchy, partly translucent stain.





Could it be from using a detergent that is dark colored?? Or I wondered if the water coming into the washing machine could be pre-strained from another apartments washer??





Thanks in advance!Is it my Washing Machine staining my clothes?
The stain is from your fabric softener. You may be using too much, or you may not be diluting it with enough water. There is a chance that it could be your detergent...but probably your fabric softener. If it is your detergent...it would be from pouring your liquid detergent directly onto your clothes. I always dilute it with water before pouring it into the machine.Is it my Washing Machine staining my clothes?
There is no telling what happens with public washers. I use ammonia to clean them out before I start because you don't know what the person before you has on their clothes. You don't know what they did in those clothes or what their pets did on them, anything could happen and with the morals that some people don't have you could be leaving yourself wide open for Lord knows what.





I pour the ammonia on a rag or towel %26amp; clean the machine out! I don't know if you pray or not but I also do that as I'm cleaning because nothing get past Jesus.





God Bless





PS: Do your colors in cold water.
Hmm, that's odd. Is your detergent old or a low-cost brand? Are you apt to leaving things in your pockets and forgetting them when you wash (I am, lol), like pens etc? Is the water coming into the apartment consistently clean? it's possble that there might be some kindof gunk buildup on one of the water lines that is either coming in or backwashing from the water-out line. If the drain line is plugged you might be getting some nastiness staying and settling in the machine that accumulates...





I'd put in a work order with the management to have it checked out...





Edit;





lmao, yeah, pray to Jesus for whiter whites. Forget the war in Iraq or the genocide in Sudan, you need clean clothes dammit!! lolz!!
Put the washing the washing machine on its hottest setting and put inside the drum, not the draw, half a bag a washing soda, available from Wilkinsons, Tesco, Morrisons, for 55p a bag, and run it empty. This will clean any residue powder from the machine. Also pull the draw out completely and clean it in the sink. Check behind it for foul smelling gunge. It will come out with a bit of gentle wriggling.


I never wash anything except whites above 40c.


These things should clean the machine. If it is smelly inside, stick the whole bag of soda in.


Are the door rubbers perished, this could cause marks on your clothes
Should be pretty easy to see by taking your clothes to a laundromat for a couple weeks. If stains still keep happening then it is probably something else.
Check out if there is work being done in the vicinity on the water mains. You should be warned in advance but there are sometimes gliches in the system. If work is being carried out, there may be residue in the incoming water. Worth a thought.
My guess is that you are probably overloading the washer and the clothes are not having enough room to agitate (this happens a lot with comforters because they are almost always too big for non-commercial washers). The detegent and/or fabric softener is getting caught in the folds and this is what is causing the translucent stains.





Also, dryer sheets can cause this in the dryer if the clothes and dryer sheet are put into a hot dryer.
I would use the hottest setting possible for the clothes I want to wash. Then I would use a color safe bleach instead of detergent.

No comments:

Post a Comment